There are so many options to choose from when it comes to Engagement Ring settings. The choices can overwhelm anyone but the idea is to narrow the choices down based on style preferences. The main categories for settings are as follows:
- Classic Bands – a classic band setting is a simple, classy but elegant band which showcases the center stone beautifully. Variations in this category are within the “head” of the ring consisting of the basket where the diamond sits, the number of prongs (usually 4 to 6) and the gallery which sits under the basket that can be adorned with specific designs or additional small stones like a “peek a boo” stone.
- Diamond Bands – settings in this category have smaller diamonds set into the band of the engagement ring. They can be set in various sizes and manner.
- Pavé (pronounced “pa-vey”) is a setting that consists of a lot of small gemstones attached to the ring by droplets of metal. As a result, the surface of the ring looks like it has been paved with diamonds or other stones. Micro pavé settings consist of small diamonds or colored stones (melee) in multiple rows over the entire surface of a jewelry piece.
- Channel set rings feature accent gemstones, which are small diamonds or other gemstones incorporated into a ring to add a touch of sparkle and glamour. Diamond or accent gemstones are placed in a “channel” formed by two strips of precious metal. Grooves on both walls hold the diamonds securely in place.
- Other styles can be custom created with diamonds across the band and can consist of double bands as well as twisted styles to create the special finished piece.
- Halo – The halo ring is a setting that encircles a center gemstone in a collection of round pavé or micro-pavé diamonds (or faceted color gemstones). There can be one or more “halos” that accentuate the center stone. Any stone with a halo will look larger than it would without a halo. There are various options for halo settings with regards to where they sit next to the center stone. They can sit directly in line with the stone as well as slightly below, giving the stone more of a “center stage” effect. Smaller halos can also sit underneath the setting to give less of an accent to the stone but showcase the setting below.
- Trilogy – settings in this category are also referred to as three stone settings and contain two stones that flank either side of the center stone. The stones can vary in size. If you chose smaller stones for either side of the main stone, you will provide the center stone as the focal point but can be selected with all the same size. They have come to represent the past, present, and future of your relationship as well as Friendship, love, and fidelity.
- Vintage – settings in this category represent times of past. Although vintage jewelry can be previously owned pieces, the setting can be made to look like an older style, with scrolling or filigree to create that unique ring.
There isn’t a right or wrong choice. It’s a personal thing!
Call iTouchDiamonds today to get your special setting created just for you!